Eduspeech

Just another Edublogs.org weblog

“Fences” Monologue

March 18, 2011 by ellenmoncrief · No Comments · Uncategorized

This monologue is entered into the last scene, when Cory comes home for Troy’s funeral. Cory has come to tell Rose that he isn’t going to the funeral, he is just there to see her and the rest of the family. This monologue will further describe Cory’s feelings towards Troy, even after Troy has died. This scene helps characterize Cory as he grows and is trying to become more independent and free from the memory of his oppressive father.

Cory: ..Everywhere I looked, Troy Maxson was staring back at me…hiding under the bed..in the closet. I’m just saying I’ve go to find a way to get rid of that shadow, Mama. Going to his funeral would make me feel defeated, and I would feel for the rest of my life that I never overcame the treatment from my father. It’s hard to explain mama, but to go to a man’s funeral that I already feel haunted by, it just doesn’t seem right. See Mama that’s the difference in me and you. Dad would tell you he loved you, he would show it, and then he went off and cheated on you. See Dad never loved me. I’ll never forget the day he told me that “liking” me wasn’t part of the bargain of being my father. Why would I want to go to the funeral of this man? All my life he made me feel like he was doin’ me a favor for takin care a me. Didn’t that bother you like it did me? Maybe it did, and you were just as scared a him as I was to say anything. I gotta deep anger in me Mama, it’s still there, even though I went off as far as I could and joined the Marines. I’m sick of feelin’ this way and going to his funeral wouldn’t give me any closure. I gotta find it in myself to get over him and what he’s done to you and me. The way I sees it, it was his “duty” to be my father and it’s my “duty” to do everything in my power to not end up like him. Honestly, I can’t wait to be a father, and I hope so bad that he watchin’ me, so I can show him how differently I would treat me own children, just to show him that I’m my own man, that his methods and philosophies weren’t real enough to effect my own. And that little Raynell, she don’t know her papa like I do. She’s too young to know what’s right and what’s wrong. To her, Papa is Papa, the only man in the world. I don’t know if she will realize how messed up things were around here once she grows, but she should know for one thing that she’s lucky to have you. Who knows where I would be today had it not been for you. So you see, I got this passion in me to do everything in life my own way and to make up for my past with Dad. I’m just starting off and going to this funeral is not the way I want to be spendin my time, no way.

Rose: You just like him. You got him in you good.

Cory: How mama? He up and left his Papa and was a bum on the streets, ended up in jail, and then died after hurting his family. I’ve made more of myself than that and I haven’t even spent half my life yet. And I’m gunna keep on making somethin of myself. I won’t settle for a garbage man, I’m better than that. Better than my Pa. I’m sure as anything that I’ll prove it to the whole family, including him. One night while I was up workin in the marines I had a dream that Papa came to visit me at my own house, with my own wife and two children. He came in the house and criticized everything I had done and everything that I hadn’t done, embarrassed me in front of my whole family. It’s not gonna be like that Mama, it never was gunna be like that even if Dad was still alive, not on my watch. Just let me by my own person Mama, let me be even though Dad never did.

No Comments so far ↓

There are no comments yet...Kick things off by filling out the form below.